We’ve got the perfect winter baking recipe if you’re looking for something to do over the festive period to get away from the leftover turkey. These rum laced scones from our Head Chef Melissa are just the treat for a winter warmer, afternoon tea or any occasion where the scones need to be a bit celebratory.
450g plain flour
112g caster sugar
10g baking powder
125g pre-soaked fruit (recommend sultanas and or cherries soaked in 375ml dark rum)
285g full fat milk
1tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1tsp vanilla essence
Forward preparation of the fruit is a must for these scones. Pre-soak the fruit in a preserve jar for a week minimum, but the longer the better.
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees
- Drain the fruit
- Sift the flour, then rub the butter into the flour to create a crumble like texture
- Add the baking powder, sugar and nutmeg
- Add the fruit to the dry ingredients
- Pour in the vanilla and milk gradually, then mix until the ingredients come together
- On a floured surface lightly knead the mix so it comes together, then roll out the scone mix to 2.5 cm thickness
- Cut out using a fluted cutter to 4cm diameter
- Brush with a little milk
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
Serve warm with jam and cream.