- We strongly recommend you book tickets online in advance of your visit. Web sales close at midnight for bookings the following day.
- To ensure a comfortable and safe visit for all visitors, access to the experience is by timed entry. Once inside, you can enjoy Van Gogh Alive at your leisure, staying mindful of Covid-aware considerations.
- There is a box office open on site located at our Thorp Street entrance. However, advanced booking is recommended since you will have a better chance of securing your preferred time slot.
- To ensure social distancing, we will be limiting ticket numbers into the experience. If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your allocated time, we may be unable to admit you into the exhibition.
- Entrance to Van Gogh Alive is via the main entrance on Hurst Street.
- For your safety, your bags will be searched before entry. We ask for your support in assisting our staff during this process.
- There are hand sanitiser stations and hand washing services throughout the venue and we ask you to follow the Covid guidelines signposted.
- To limit physical contact, our cloakroom is currently unavailable. All bags and items must be carried with you inside the exhibition. Please leave large bags at home as we are unable to allow bags over 40 x 25 x 25cm into the experience.
- Customers with wheelchairs, walking aids, buggies and prams are most welcome.
- Toilets will be open and available throughout the building.
- Baby changing facilities are situated next to the accessible toilets on the Front Circle Foyer (Level 2 in the lift just after the Gift Shop) and in the Stalls Foyer for use whilst visiting the SENSORY4™ gallery.
- As you exit Van Gogh Alive, our one-way system takes you through the Gift Shop, which offers a range of specially selected souvenirs and gifts. Please note that the Gift Shop is operating a cashless payment system.
- Our souvenir guidebook is a great accompaniment to the tour, and a beautiful memento to take home with you. Guidebooks are available to purchase from the ticket scan point on arrival, and from our Gift Shop.
- You are more than welcome to take photos and videos inside the experience.
- When posting images and comments on social media, please use the hashtag #vangoghaliveuk so more people can see the exhibition through your eyes.
- We only ask that you refrain from using a flash in the SENSORY4™ gallery and please consider other visitors when taking photos.
- There may be a short queue as you enter Van Gogh Alive. If you are not able to queue, then please proceed to the Easy Access queue located at the main entrance, where there are automatic doors, leading to either six steps or a ramp into the main foyer area.
- Van Gogh Alive is wheelchair accessible. We have a limited number of wheelchairs available to borrow during your visit, but these must be booked in advance by calling our Ticket Sales team. The cafe is fully wheelchair accessible.
- We welcome fully trained assistance dogs. If you require a bowl of water, please ask a staff member who will be happy to provide one for you.
- Seating is available for customers to use in the SENSORY4™ Gallery.
- In addition to accessible unisex and ambulant disabled toilets on all levels, we have an Oxford Advance folding lift which allows us to better cater for visitors with limited mobility during their trip to Birmingham Hippodrome.
- Please book the mobile hoist in advance. The hoist is located in our First Aid room which is directly next door to an accessible toilet. Slings are also available in sizes S, M, L, or users can provide their own sling. There is a user guide in the First Aid room to assist visitors in the use of the hoist if it is an unfamiliar model. The hoist has generously been supported by two of our regular Birmingham Hippodrome donors and supporters.
- Lift access to all levels is available. We are limiting numbers to two customers per lift to ensure social distancing.
- Access to some of our lifts is controlled, so please ask a member of staff if you wish to use these.
To reserve the mobile hoist or a wheelchair, or for any other access related questions, please contact the Access phone line on 0121 689 1060 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Keeping you safe
The safety of our customers and colleagues is our number one priority. To help keep everyone safe, we’ve implemented a number of measures throughout Birmingham Hippodrome for Van Gogh Alive.
We’re constantly monitoring Covid guidance and updating our website, so please check back here for the most up-to-date information.
- If you or anyone you live with/in your support bubble displays symptoms associated with Covid-19, or if you are self-isolating following Government Guidance, please do not visit Birmingham Hippodrome.
- Our ticket sales team will happily arrange an exchange to another day. Please call us on 0121 689 1070 and select Option 1.
Test and Trace
- If you or anyone in your party display symptoms, or are diagnosed with Covid-19 within 10 days of attending, please contact Birmingham Hippodrome and NHS Test and Trace. Please call us on 0121 689 1070 and select Option 1. For more details on our Test and Trace policyplease click here.
- As part of the booking process, your details have been recorded as part of the government requirements for the process of NHS Test and Trace. For more details on your privacy, please click here.
- A QR code will also be on display at the main entrance for you to scan via the NHS COVID-19 app.
- For your safety and the safety of other visitors and staff, you must wear a face covering during your visit if you are aged 11 or over, unless you are exempt on medical grounds. This is in line with government guidelines.
- Face coverings can only be removed when seated in the café.
- All face coverings must cover the nose and mouth and fit securely around the side of the face. A face visor or shield is not a suitable face covering to gain entry to Van Gogh Alive, unless worn by a customer who is exempt from wearing a face covering.
- Branded Van Gogh Alive face masks are available if you wish to purchase one on arrival from the ticket scan point, and from our Gift Shop.
- The number of visitors to the exhibition has been reduced so you can maintain social distancing during your visit.
- To limit physical contact, our cloakroom is unavailable.
- Our toilet facilities will be open with additional hygiene measures in place, including some cubicles, sinks and urinals being out of use to maintain social distancing.
- We have designed a one-way route throughout the exhibition to take you from the entrance all the way to your safe exit.
- You will notice additional signage and floor markings to promote social distancing throughout Birmingham Hippodrome. Please follow these markings to allow all visitors to move around Van Gogh Alive safely.
- To further limit contact, our café and gift shop will only accept cashless or contactless payment options such as credit and debit cards.
- Enhanced cleaning of Birmingham Hippodrome will take place throughout the day. This will focus on high frequency touch-points such as hand rails, door handles and barriers.
- Hand sanitiser stations are positioned throughout Birmingham Hippodrome. We kindly request that visitors uphold the highest hygiene standards during their visit by regularly washing their hands and using the hand sanitiser provided.
- Hygiene screens have been installed within our café, gift shop, box office and ticket scan points.
Food and Drink
Café Provençal is located on Level 3, with a menu offering a selection of hot, cold and alcoholic drinks, and a range of sandwiches and cakes. View the menu here.
- This is open with table service only. Please wait to be seated by a staff member. This is to ensure that your table has been sanitised before use.
- Seating in the café is spaced to allow for social distancing.
- The café is operating a cashless payment system only.
- Our café closes 30 minutes prior to the exhibition closing.
- In line with government guidance, food and drink must only be consumed in designated areas within the building.
- Please note that face coverings must be worn throughout the building at all times and only be removed once seated in the café.
- No food or beverage purchase outside the building will be allowed inside the venue.
- If you have any allergy requirements, please speak to one of out team.
PPE & Training
- A Risk Assessment has been carried out in line with Government Guidelines.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has been introduced for our staff, including face coverings.
- To ensure the safety of our colleagues and customers, all of our staff have taken part in Covid Awareness training and specific Van Gogh Alive training.