Birmingham Hippodrome is committed to forging relationships with schools and colleges in the West Midlands and surrounding areas and developing the next generation of artists and audiences.
We bring creativity into the curriculum, connect learning outcomes to exciting opportunities at the Hippodrome, and provide young people with the chance to experience and connect with theatre.
Our schools network – Hippodrome Education Network (HEN) – is designed to allow schools and colleges to have as much flexibility as possible and to find the model that works best for them.
HEN Network Packages
There is a gold, silver and bronze membership package available for the HEN Network and we can create bespoke packages for Academy Trusts.
- Hippodrome Learning Officers based in the school’s staff on a weekly basis
- Performance opportunities at shows, festivals and events for young people
- Tickets to see shows on both the main stage and in the Patrick Studio
- Bespoke projects linked to shows and festivals, including workshops with show casts and backstage tours
- Professional artists visiting schools to collaborate around key festivals and cultural celebrations, such as Chinese New Year
- Student Ambassador programme for young people in schools/colleges
- Careers days at Birmingham Hippodrome for young people in schools/colleges
- Network meetings for school staff
- CPD for teachers
- Exhibition opportunities for young people
Please submit your expression of interest forms by 30 Mar for the next academic year.
We also offer a range of mini packages for schools who are only able to commit to short-term projects. These include workshops both at the theatre and in schools as well as theatre tours and career talks.
“We don’t have a drama department in our school so it was when the Hippodrome came into school that I realised this was what I had been missing without knowing it – I have become SO much more confident in myself ” (Participant)
“This has been fantastic for Darcy; she has developed great relationships with students from all year groups at school through this which has enriched her social skills ” (Parent)
“We are delighted with our partnership with the Hippodrome. The children are so immersed in their learning and excited and we can already see evidence of language development. Staff are really benefiting and learning a range of strategies” (Teacher)