Birmingham Hippodrome is committed to forging relationships with schools and colleges in the West Midlands and surrounding areas and developing the next generation of artists and audiences.
We bring creativity into the curriculum, connect learning outcomes to exciting opportunities at the Hippodrome, and provide young people with the chance to experience and connect with theatre.
Our schools network – Hippodrome Education Network (HEN) – is designed to allow schools and colleges to have as much flexibility as possible and to find the model that works best for them.
HEN Network Packages
There is a gold, silver and bronze membership package available for the HEN Network and we can create bespoke packages for Academy Trusts.
- Hippodrome Learning Officers based in the school’s staff on a weekly basis
- Performance opportunities at shows, festivals and events for young people
- Tickets to see shows in the auditorium and in the Patrick Studio
- Bespoke projects linked to shows and festivals, including workshops with show casts and backstage tours
- Professional artists visiting schools to collaborate around key festivals and cultural celebrations, such as Chinese New Year
- Student Ambassador programme for young people in schools/colleges
- Careers days at Birmingham Hippodrome for young people in schools/colleges
- Network meetings for school staff
- CPD for teachers
- Exhibition opportunities for young people
Please submit your expression of interest forms by Wed 4 Mar 2020 for the next academic year.
We also offer a range of mini packages for schools who are only able to commit to short-term projects. These include workshops both at the theatre and in schools as well as theatre tours and career talks.
“Our school has had a tough time of late, with being in special measures and becoming academised. This has been the first really positive thing for us and has had a really positive impact for the whole school, the children and parents are both getting so much out of it!” (Teacher)
“Today was spectacular! The boys were so engaged and enthralled. When we were told it would be a member of the cast I didn’t realise it would be a lead! We are so grateful to be part of this project, and HEN in general. The boys were already excited to see Blood Brothers, now they are beyond excited” (Teacher)
“The best thing is that the Hippodrome keep coming into school to work with us, they don’t come once and then not come back” (School student)
“I never knew what drama was – now I do and I love it” (School student)