We Did It! We raised over £16,000 in our 12 Days of Christmas Challenge
Thanks to generous donors, we didn’t just reach the £12,000 target during our 12 Days of Christmas Challenge – we smashed right through it!
This help us to reach 5,000 audiences with special access needs and complex disabilities through our Relaxed Performance and access programme next year.
At Birmingham Hippodrome, everyone’s welcome, and we want each person to have the same opportunities to enjoy live theatre with their family and friends. We’re so grateful for your support in making this happen.
Our next Relaxed Performance will take place in January at Dick Whittington. Following this, we will be offering a Relaxed Performance at The Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night-Time.
What is a Relaxed Performance?
It’s all about creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for audiences who may find coming to the theatre overwhelming. These special events include:
• Creating a welcome film and familiarisation pack prior to the performance
• Changing elements of the show itself – removing loud bangs and lighting effects
• Delivering specialist training for staff and volunteers
• Increasing the number of wheelchair spaces in the main auditorium
• Providing a sensory room, playroom and quiet spaces
• Reducing the ticket price to ensure the performance is accessible
• Giving out sensory ‘fidget’ toys for use during the show
• Providing a caption board, audio describer and signer for the show
Thank you for passing on the joy of live theatre this festive season.
Birmingham Hippodrome Theatre Trust is a registered charity, No 510842